Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lights, Tunnels & Cliches

English teachers tend to red flag pedestrian conventions like clichés. Red ink bleeds from the my pen symbolizing the hemorrhaging of the English language. Today, however, I think a cliché is like a fine wine. Today, a cliché is like water under the bridge. Today, a cliché is like the lemonade made from the lemons life deals out. Today, I am one day closer to summer vacation. With only two days of exams left, summer life awaits. Ahhhh, the joys of summer: riding, sleeping, mowing the lawn, not shaving. For now I may be swimming in a sea of papers but soon the tide of school will subside. Delicious.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Why kids would scoff at the notion that they are hemorrhaging the english language when their common vernacular includes such phrases as TTYL and PLZ.

JBrandt said...

No kidding.
I'm amazed when Johnny Jr., who believes he'll be attending Harvard unless he leaves high school early for the NBA, struggles to understand that u is a letter not a pronoun.
"Pronoun? Mr. Brandt, man, you never listen. I said I wz gonna play professional hoops, not nouns."
Using my street cred vernacular, I can only pause, shake my head and respond, "My bad, dawg. My bad."

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.