Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What, then, can daunt my spirit?


While the title of this post is short on clever, it's eternally long on comfort.  Simon Dach, the author, referenced my favorite passage from Romans 8:38 - 39. There is no greater comfort than knowing that nothing can sever us from the Love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Art by Edward Riojas
www.adcrucem.com
Although I have not yet penned the message for my first chapel for the upcoming school year, I do know this will be one of the hymns we sing because of the temporal and eternal comfort it offers in Christ our Lord and Savior.

Through Jesus' Blood and Merit
Hymn 746 in the Lutheran Service Book

Through Jesus' blood and merit
I am at peace with God.
What, then, can daunt my spirit,
However dark my road?
My courage shall not fail me,
For God is on my side;
Though hell itself assail me,
Its rage I may deride.

There's nothing that can sever From this great love of God;
No want, no pain whatever,
No famine, peril, flood.
Though thousand foes surround me,
For slaughter mark His sheep,
They never shall confound me,
The vict'ry I shall reap.


For neither life's temptation
Nor death's most trying hour
Nor angels of high station
Nor any other pow'r,
Nor things that now are present
Nor things that are to come
Nor height, however pleasant,
Nor darkest depths of gloom


Nor any creature ever
Shall from the love of God
This ransomed sinner sever;
For in my Savior's blood
This love has its foundation;
God hears my faithful prayer
And long before creation
Named me His child and heir.

No comments: