Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dumb brutes and irrational hogs

While preparing for a Lutheran Confessions Book of Concord study, I came across this quote by Martin Luther in his preface to The Small Catechism:

The deplorable, miserable condition that I discovered recently when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare this catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form.  Mercy! Dear God, what great misery I beheld! The common person especially in the villages, has no knowledge whatever of Christian doctrine.  And unfortunately, many pastors are completely unable and unqualified to teach.  This is so much so, that one is ashamed to speak of it.  Yet, everyone says they are Christians...They live like dumb brutes and irrational hogs.  Now that the Gospel has come, they have nicely learned to abuse all freedom like experts. 

Luther, never one to mince words.

No comments: