Monday, March 9, 2009

Pondering Postman's Pontifications


"We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate...We are eager to tunnel under the Atlantic and bring the old world some weeks nearer to the new; but perchance the first news that will leak through into the broad flapping American ear will be that Princess Adelaide has the whooping cough."
-from Walden, Henry David Thoreau, as quoted in the quintessential text all high school students and the parents of high school students must read, Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Walden, and I actually have Postman's book sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

Julianne said...

Haha it's so funny...I was thinking about the media and just how ridiculous it has gotten lately, and the Postman book popped into my mind. Yeah, like Josh I'm hoping to find time to read that book. I'm hoping to get to reading it in May!

JBrandt said...

Julianne,
Do these words remind you of any recent blog comments?

"i love it...sooner or later people won't even know how to hold a face to face conversation hah. fantastic."

Postman, as you will find out after reading the book, would not approve.

Julianne said...

Hmmm....now I'm left wondering where I went wrong with my flippant sarcasm...I guess I will have to read Postman's book!

Julianne said...

And, I do apologize to the blogosphere for the severe grammatical errors. I will actually use my writing skills in future blog comments. :)